Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Olympics

I spoke some weeks ago of boycotting the summer Games out of disgust for the poor human rights record of China.

I watched maybe 5 minutes of them - mostly because my roomate was watching who also happens to be my mum. She wanted me to view the opening ceremonies online just so I could see how amazing the fireworks were.

Let me tell you it was a herculean effort on my part not to watch the swimmers in amazing form, including Michael Phelps who won some 8 gold medals or something of that sort. I wanted to watch the 40 something mom who got back in shape to qualify. I wanted to see the Jamaicans win their medals and break world records, and I was really curious about the little girl who sang the national anthem at opening ceremonies and was allegedly too plain to have her likeness used, so a lip syncer was found in her stead.

I heard more about the Olympics than I wanted to - I really did want to support the games - I wanted to support the athletes most of all - that is, after all, what this is all about - making the best showing for one's country and bringing home the gold if at all possible. These games were all about China tricking the world with smoke and mirrors and pretending to be normal - as if.

No comments: