Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Army suicide rate could top nation's this year

That grim headline greets me on the CNN website this morning.

George Bush and John McCain want to extend tours in Iraq while our soldiers are dying at their own hands. This cannot and should not stand.

I am going to call my senator today and let my voice be heard - I encourage you to do the same.

It has been reported that the army is using mass quantities of antidepressants to help soldiers deal with the horror of combat. I do not believe that they are getting psychotherapy or seeing a psychiastist monthly for medication adjustments and checkups as do civilians who are taking antidepressants. Many antidepressants cause some individuals to become even more depressed and the chance for suicide attempts is greater. This headline would indicate that our wonderful men and women of the armed services are suffering greatly for the Bush administration's grave error in judgement over this damn unwinnable war.

How many more lives? Will McCain send his children to serve? Will George Bush send his?

My former husband served for 15 years and was not deployed, thank God - but I know the suffering and pain of separations necessitated by duty and other assignments and I managed to do it with 3 very young children. I sacrificed for the good of my family, just as military spouses are doing now, only they are not having their spouses come home alive and that is not acceptable. Not on our watch.

According to CNN "As of August, 62 Army soldiers have committed suicide, and 31 cases of possible suicide remain under investigation, according to Army statistics. Last year, the Army recorded 115 suicides among its ranks, which was also higher than the previous year."

I will keep going to every single protest that I see against this war because the powers that be are not getting it. They consistently overrule military leaders - you know - the West Point graduates and those who have trained their whole lives to be generals, commanders and the like.

Our troops deserve better.

Please make that phone call today.

No comments: