Sunday, September 7, 2008

Governor Jon Huntsman of Utah - one of the best

There is a state that was my home for some 7 years - the great state of Utah.

I now live in the great state of New York - I have had two governors in my 9 months here.

I had two governors in my 7 years in Utah - actually three. Former governor Michael Leavitt was tapped to be the Secretary of Health and Human Services under the current president. Olene Walker - a bright, PhD bearing articulate woman was his lieutenant governor. She succeeded him. I believe that she now lives in New York City where she serves as a missionary or ambassador of sorts for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - my former church.

Jon Huntsman shocked many Mormons and Utahans in particular when he endorsed John McCain early on. Others felt sure he would endorse his "brother" and Utah's beloved adopted Mormon son, Mitt Romney. Personally, I would have preferred to see Mitt Romney on the VP ticket over Sarah Palin. Mitt Romney has a complete term as governor of Massachusetts in his CV, decades of turning around failing million dollar companies and is a fiscally responsible individual. He has been married to the same wife for years, knows how many homes he owns and earned his money the old fashioned way - by the sweat of his brow. He is bright, articulate and knows a good thing when he sees it. I wonder whether John McCain will come to regret his choice of Palin, current news stories notwithstanding.

Jon Huntsman is a maverick in his own right. He is somewhat of a moderate, in the reddest of red states and has assembled a staff including Democrats and Republicans in his Republican administration. Who knows, maybe he is angling for a cabinet position - there are after all, worse things.

No comments: