Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 7 years later

As I wandered through Greenwich Village yesterday, being a relative newcomer to the NYC area, (and directionally challenged to boot), I knew from my tourist map that there were at least 8 churches within the vicinity. I felt an urgent need to sit and pray for a quiet moment of tranquility amidst the bustle of the city. I wanted to get away and reflect and ask God to help me to make sense of the insanity of the world. We continue to fight a war that never should have been started, but is being waged because of the erroneous belief that there was some connection to the 911 attacks.

I remember that day as though it were yesterday. My mum was in her Park Avenue office and my sister was down near the UN building where she worked at the time. She is now, thankfully, overseas, but in war torn countries, also trying to make sense of the atrocities of war as she helps women and children to rebuild their lives after years of conflict in their countries. My sister is an agent of change and is one of my most admired women, along with my mum. They live their lives on a higher level - truly trying to make a difference in the lives of others.

I will go into the chapel near my office today - it is a short walk, fortunately, and I know exactly how to get there.

I will pray for those whose lives were lost and hope that we will see the end of war and terrorism and that peace may prevail on the earth.

No comments: