Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Proposition 8 and the LDS Church

I received a petition in my inbox last week. A friend was asking me to sign on to have the IRS review the non-profit status of the LDS Church. It seems that some think they have gone (again) too far (they claim to be politically neutral) this time. They are not the only church who galvanized their flocks to speak out against gay marriage. Many other conservative churches cautioned and advised their followers to vote against proposition 8.

There have been a myriad of protests in California, even in Utah - my former home - at the home of the LDS Church headquarters in Salt Lake City, some 3,000 protestors led a march against the LDS Church, asking them to recognize equality.

I am not here to tell any church how to lead their affairs, what I am here to do is to remind us all that in the 60's it was illegal for Barack Obama's parents to be married in many of the 50 states.

This issue will continue to be a divisive one for many of us. I read a great open letter on the UCC Church's website on this topic recently. The complete letter can be found at this link: http://www.ucc.org/newsletter/called-out/a-pastoral-letter.html

The struggle will not be over, as long as any of us are marginalized - be that women who do equal work for less pay than men, gays who cannot legally marry, and so on and so forth......

No comments: