Thursday, December 4, 2008

Governer Janet Napolitano has "no life"

I am sure you have heard this story by now.

I never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of some individuals, particularly when they know a microphone is nearby. See the quote below:

"Janet's perfect for that job. Because for that job, you have to have no life. Janet has no family. Perfect. She can devote, literally, 19-20 hours a day to it," said Rendell, whose comments were picked up by the open mike.

I too have served as a political appointee, not in a cabinet position, but in an extremely demanding role. The hours were long and grueling, and I loved the job.

My former boss, the mayor of Salt Lake City Utah made an off the record comment about someone who was running for mayor and was a mother of a small child - he basically indicated that she would have a difficult time with the demands due to having a small child. He is not sexist, but was trying to articulate what can be a frustrating position on such an issue.

Had I to do it again, I would not have taken the job - much as I loved it - it took away my life with my children - no ball games, no track meets, no field trips - all those bonding times during the day that one has as a parent were lost to me as I tried to juggle long hours.

Janet Napolitano is an amazing woman - brilliant, intelligent, insightful and her family status is not anyone's business.

She will do a remarkable job in the Obama cabinet. We are all lucky to have her. Let us not judge her.

No comments: