Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Unrighteous dominion and the Governor of Illinois

What a sad day for the state that gave us our 44th President.

I was not able to track the news yesterday as I had a busy day and heard from a friend that the esteemed, or not so esteemed Governor had tried to "sell" the seat vacated by President Elect Obama.

My Mormon friends and readers will recognize the tagline of this post, but for those of you who do not, allow me to elaborate: "We have learned by sad experience, that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon get a little authority as they suppose, that they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion."

In this case, the unrighteous dominion was not perhaps so immediate, the election took place last month, after all, but since the quote is from a scripture, I think that I can speculate that "immediate" means in a relatively sort time.

Men and women in power fall in many categories. Above all, I have learned by my own experience that people in general will only do what one allows them to do - that is, if they think they can get away with doing it - good or bad, by golly, they will.

President Elect Obama has called for the resignation of the Governor as well he should. He should be impeached.

This should not stand and we as a people need to demand better from our elected officials.

No comments: