Sunday, January 4, 2009

Girlfriends and their complications

A close girlfriend and I (yes, I know that there are no such things as casual girlfriends) - were recently discussing her relationship with a male friend. Theirs is a platonic relationship. Always has been.

It seems that a problem has now arisen with his live-in girlfriend - she is "jealous" of the friendship he has with my girlfriend. Some background here: My girlfriend has been friends with "John" for years. They have hiked together, rollerbladed together, started an activity group for singles together, lived as neighbors and shared many meals together - the list goes on and on.

A couple of years ago, my girlfriend moved to another state and that is when the troubles began. While the girlfriend of "John" had some apparent issues with my friend prior to the move - she didn't understand why her sweetie needed a friend besides her - and a woman friend to boot!......she has become increasingly negative towards my friend.

I say we all needs friends - the more the merrier and men and women are more balanced when they have a mix of friends. "John's" girlfriend should be happy that he is a well-rounded kind of guy!

No comments: