Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year - Cuban cigar included

I spent a delightful evening with some new friends at a New Year's Eve soiree.

The food was delicious and the company was outstanding.

At one point over dinner, I mentioned that the party was quite delightful, and Dick, one of the guests said that was not possible and his grandchildren would consider this gathering to be "boring" - granted the group was on average 20 years older than I, but I loved the diversity of thought and opinions that we discussed over the evening.

We spoke of politics, the new administration, nationalized health care, education reform, law, religion and a myriad of other topics.

My favorite part of the evening came after the sumptuous dinner was settling in our sated tummies. Paul, the host wanted to partake of a cigar. I am a closet cigar lover. I have never bought one but have smoked them on occasion with men and women - most recently over the summer. The temperature was decidedly frigid and we bundled up against the cold and walked down the block, puffing and chatting.

We then returned to the house, popped delicious champagne and sipped it while watching the ball drop on frozen revelers at Times Square. Thereafter, we partook of great coffee, delicious tiramisu and apple pie with real whipped cream. A sensory delight.

It sure is a wonderful life.

Happy New Year!

No comments: