Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kennedy withdraws her name

It is with a sad heart that I read this story this morning.

Caroline Kennedy has withdrawn her name from contention to replace Madame Secretary Clinton. She cited personal reasons in her explanation: "I informed Governor Paterson today that for personal reasons I am withdrawing my name from consideration for the United States Senate," she said in the one-sentence statement according to a story on AOL today.

I had truly hoped that Ms. Kennedy would have been the Governor's pick for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is her name recognition - she would have had the star power required to lobby and get things moving in Albany and Washington as others might not. Her ability to raise enormous amounts of monies for children and the education causes close to her heart have not gone unnoticed.

I hope that she does not retreat into the background again - her vision and clarity are needed.

God bless her uncle, Ted - may he have a speedy recovery.

No comments: