Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Neighborhood ball - conceptualized by the Obama's

This ball is taking place in Washington DC as I write this. It is the first of the 10 balls that the President and First Lady will attend into the wee hours tomorrow morning.

I am thinking back on the great parties we attended in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.

A man with great vision and sense of social justice, mayor Rocky Anderson, instructed his staffers to send invitations to an amazing party - the invitations went out to Mr and Mrs John Q Public in various zip codes within Salt Lake City.

I never had so much fun at a party - there were rich, poor, black white, Christians, Jews, Muslins, Hindus and much more inbetween. It was an amazing experience that he wanted to create for his neighbors at one of my favorite places in Salt Lake - the Jewish Community Center.

I am optimistic at this new presidency - I am not asking what Obama can do for me, I am asking what I can do to help him.

I am involved, as always, in a myriad of projects presently - spurred on by a sense of urgency based on the mandate for us to become socially involved. I have long been doing the community organizing thing myself and recognize the importance thereof.

God bless America and God bless President Obama

No comments: