Friday, January 29, 2010

Hardball's Chris Matthews opens mouth and inserts both feet

Chris Matthews has been a long-admired news reporter of mine. His ability to distill important and complex political issues are among the reasons I so like him.

Unfortunately, Mr. Matthews recently committed a faux pas - apparently while reporting on the President's first State of the Union address, Mr. Matthews maintains that he "forgot that the President is black.....for one hour." - I recall having the parents of a former beau saying that about me - he recounted the story and was proud of his parents for "accepting" me - I remember being mortified, even at the tender age of seventeen.

Chris has some learning to do - this could become - as well it should - a PR debacle for the host of the remarkable "Hardball with Chris Matthews" on MSNBC. He should definitely apologize - I would like to think that he was not willfully intending to offend millions of black Americans - I would like to think that he merely misspoke, but there is something deeper afoot here. As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he - Chris is a master of the English language - he commands it so very well each weekday evening whilst interviewing all types of people from Presidents, heads of state to the average American - all in the hopes of sharing his left-leaning point of view with the American people.

It is my hope that Chris Matthews and others who think like him vis a vis the race issue - he should know better and I hope for a speedy remedy to this PR debacle.

Think before you speak, Chris - Just a word to the wise - or not so wise, in this case.

No comments: