Saturday, August 15, 2009

Robert's Rules of Order

A couple of years ago whilst employed as a political appointee, I attended more meetings than I care to even recall. They were mostly community council meetings, some city council meetings and other meetings, with a few town hall meetings thrown in for good measure.

I have been purposely quiet on the debacle surrounding the healthcare townhall meetings. It is clear that these attendees who have been sent there to disrupt these important hearings have never heard of Robert's Rules of Order - basically, meeting decorum 101 for dummies is a good analogy.

Most of the meetings I attended were respectful, well-led, appropriate and even when individuals did not agree with one another, there was a sense of decorum that presided, thankfully.

I respect the right of misinformed dissenters to disrupt these meetings, but maintain that there is a time and a place, and certainly a way to get one's feelings heard.

Enough said.

No comments: