Sunday, May 31, 2009

Paying it forward

I am blessed with amazing people in my life. The person who has impacted me the most has been my mother, Maxine. She is amazing, strong, fearless, indomitable with a remarkable spirit of love, kindness and generosity.

My mother raised me and my 4 sisters practically singlehandedly after being abandoned by her abusive husband. She came to America to start a new life some 20 years ago and has become a citizen, productive in society, works hard to provide a living and continues to give back.

She gives her unneeded items to Big Brothers and Sisters - she donates monies to her church. She gives monies to orphans in Africa. She serves on her local church vestry and is anxiously engaged.

I love my mother for the amazing woman she is - she has overcome much in order to be the woman who she is. She is my idol.

No comments: