Monday, May 11, 2009

A tale of two Catholic priests - the celibacy debate

Recently, I watched the movie "Doubt" for the first time. I am a huge fan of Meryl Streep, but I am still not utterly convinced that she was entirely virtuous in her role in the movie. I am, in other words, still filled with my own doubts as to the relationships with the priest in the movie and his students past and present.

This brings me to the story du jour. It seems that a Catholic priest is considering stepping down from the priesthood as he has fallen in love and might want to marry a woman he has been friends with for some 2 years. According to an AOL news survey, an overwhelming 76% of respondents do not believe that priests should be celibate. I am inclined to agree. Celibacy is not the natural state of being, nor is being alone.

My own priest, Father Joe was too a celibate Catholic priest who fell in love and left the priesthood. Years later, he is happily married to his wife Joanne and serves as an Episcopal priest. He is touching lives in ways he would not have been able to prior to being married.

I for one think there has to be a compromise in the Catholic church - for those who want to be celibate, let them so live and for others, let them live another order - that is let them be married and still be priests.

Here is the link story about the celebrity Miami priest - I'll let you decide what you think should happen.

http://news.aol.com/article/priest-admits-affair/474450

No comments: