Monday, July 21, 2008

By a margin of 5 to 1, why do Europeans prefer Obama?

My English brothers in law are thrilled at the change that is engulfing America.

Years ago, prior to the Iraqi war, my neice named Bush a warmonger. She was a teen for the summer in the US as a volunteer at a camp for underprivileged youth. She saw the writing on the wall, even at her tender age.

Europeans are yearning for a time when they can again love their American brothers and sisters. No more of this"Big I, little You!" Bush's way of diplomacy. No more fist slamming, rubbing the shoulders of Angela Merkel inappropriately, I might add - and to do that to a German to boot - they are, after all, less than warm and fuzzy - I know - I lived there for 7 years and almost married one. No more of this "we know better than you" nonsense.

Finally, a true diplomat - one who, in spite of his relative youth (he is just a year shy of my 45 years) - gets diplomacy at its very core. His foreign relations advisors number some 300, vs McCain's 30. Who is it who is serious about foreigh policy again? Which candidate is making the most progress?

I can speak for my European family members, and for myself when I say - we all want to be the change that Obama speaks of.

No comments: