Sunday, June 21, 2009

Obama: "We need fathers to step up."

I met an amazing couple on the bus home from the museum - the express bus lends itself more to conversations and getting to know people in a way that other commuting busses don't.

The father gently cradled his 18 month old as she sipped on her bottle. They were heading to Grandma's house. She eyed her father adoringly as he held her in his tender arms. The scene was beautiful and reminded me of happier days with my former husband - before the animosity of the divorce drove a wedge between us that remains unbridged even 10 years later. We struggle greatly to remain civil - differences in parenting styles frequently being a cause for contention.

This beautiful couple defied the odds - both products of divorced parents, highly successful - she an attorney and while I did not ask him of his profession, could tell he was educated, articulate and clearly had something about him that attracted his amazing wife - you can tell a lot about a couple by spending even 30 minutes with them on a bus ride. We exchanged cards and I hope to keep in touch with them.

I am sure they will read the letter to fathers as printed in Parade Magazine today. President Obama is always giving us something to reach for, and while my regular readers will know of my disappoinment with him over gay rights issues of late, I think he has hit this one out of the proverbial ballpark. Here is a link to the story - comments appreciated: http://www.parade.com/export/sites/default/news/2009/06/barack-obama-we-need-fathers-to-step-up.html

HAPPY FATHERS' DAY!

No comments: